Vedanta Youth Cup: Bengaluru FC U18 go down 1-2 to RFYC in the final

Bekey’s Wonder-Strike In Vain As Blue Colts Suffer Heartbreaking Defeat

Goa: Bengaluru FC U18 went down fighting 1-2 to Reliance Foundation Young Champs in the final of the inaugural edition of the Vedanta Youth Cup at the SESA FA Ground in Sirsaim, Goa, on Sunday. Goals from N. Zidane Singh (28’) and Nemil Valiyattil (50’) handed RFYC the crucial win as Bekey Oram’s (61’) second-half effort for the Blue Colts turned out to be only a consolation goal.

Going into the big final, Coach Naushad Moosa made one change handing a start to Ronik Singh in place of Ngangom Gunendro.

The Blue Colts dominated possession for most of the first thirty minutes, and had two really close chances to open scoring. First it was Akashdeep Singh who was sent through by playmaker Damaitphang Lyngdoh, but the striker, who found himself in a one-on-one situation with the rival custodian, somehow hit his effort wide in the 24th minute. Moments later it was Ronik who saw his attempt tipped over by the ’keeper after he let fly from range following defender Jagdeep Singh’s good pass down the left.

The missed chances hurt Bengaluru when RFYC took the lead against the run of play in the 28th minute. A quick counter-attack from the right saw winger Gulab Rauth beat Rajanbir Singh before finding Zidane Singh with a low cross who finished off the move with a neat strike past Dipesh Chauhan in the BFC goal.

Needing to bounce back, the Blue Colts got off to a poor start in the second half. Defender Rajanbir’s pass was intercepted by in the BFC half by RFYC attacker Nemil who then sprinted past the defensive line and scored from close range to double the lead in the 50th minute.

Bengaluru FC who continued pushing up finally managed to pull one back when Bekey produced a brilliant finish. Lyngdoh found Bekey with a cutback from the right and the midfielder’s first-time attempt from the edge of the box ended in the top left corner a minute past the hour mark.

With thirty minutes of play remaining, the Blue Colts kept bombarding the rival goal but fell short of getting the equalizer with RFYC defending deep and successfully protecting their narrow one-goal advantage to seal the tie.