Bengaluru FC U18 down FC Mangalore 4-2 in Youth League opener

Lalrintluanga Stars With A Brace And Two Assists As Blue Colts Survive Late Scare

Vidyanagar, Bellary: Bengaluru FC U18 got their U18 Youth League campaign off to a winning start after a dominating 4-2 victory over FC Mangalore in their Karnataka-Andhra Zone opener at the football grounds in Vidyanagar Township, in Bellary on Tuesday.

Despite a late fightback from FC Mangalore’s Ashik AK (89’, 90+2’), a brace from attacker Lalrintluanga Chawnglut (20’, 70’) along with strikes from midfielders Arun Kumar (38’) and Manbhakupar Iawphniaw (54’) was enough to hand the Blue Colts all three points as they moved to the top of the Karnataka – Andhra Standings ahead of Ananthapur Sports Academy (3 pts) on goals scored.

After a midfield battle in the opening quarter it was Bengaluru who broke the deadlock in the 20th minute. Attacker Lalrintluanga put the Blue Colts 1-0 up with a calm penalty kick conversion after midfielder Arun Kumar was brought down in the box by defender Mohammed Hasan.

The youngsters continued their domination and continued to push up. A few half chances later, they finally doubled their advantage when midfielder Arun Kumar rounded off the rival ‘keeper Manoj Gowda and slotted home from close in the 38th minute. It was Lalrintluanga who did well to set him up and pick up his first assist of the day with the Blue Colts leading 2-0 going into the break.

Bengaluru began the second half on the offensive and created back to back chances inside the opening five minutes. First Amay Morajkar’s acrobatic effort on Jagdeep Singh’s cross went inches wide, and a minute later Lalrintluanga failed to add to his tally after a brilliant lay off from Rahul Rajan.

The Blue Colts increased their pressure and were rewarded with a goal in the 54th minute when Manbhakupar headed home a perfectly floated freekick by Lalrintluanga from the right.

Midway through the half, it was 4-0 when Lalrintluanga (70’) got his second of the day, firing home a freekick from the edge of the box after substitute Robin Yadav was fouled on a solo run down the middle.

While the Blue Colts looked comfortable cruising to a 4-0 victory, there was some late drama as substitute Ashik AK netted two back-to-back goals right at the death. However, the Bengaluru defense managed to hold on in injury time to secure their first win of the campaign.

The Blue Colts now host Ozone FA in their second game at the Vidyanagar Township on October 15.